Click on a category below to be taken to the FAQs for that category.

Code Enforcement
Public Works
Smart Meters
When and where does the City Council meet?
The Mayor and Council meet on the second and fourth Tuesday of every month. They meet in the City Council Chambers at 414 High Street at 7 p.m.Go to Top
Code Enforcement
Who do I contact about dog problem?
  • If it is a dog problem, call the Delaware Animal Care & Control @ 302-698-3006.
  • If the dog is aggressive or vicious call the Seaford Police Department at 629-6644 ext. 236.
  • If you or another person are bitten by a dog, call 911 immediately to report the incident.
  • Go to Top
Do I need a building permit for fencing, sidewalks, driveways, and roofing?
Yes, contact the Code Department for more information.Go to Top
Where do I go to get a building permit in Seaford?
City Hall located at 414 High Street.Go to Top
When do I need a Sussex County building permit?
You should contact Sussex County Permits at 302-855-7720 whenever you obtain a building permit from Seaford; they will tell you if a permit is required from their officeGo to Top
Who do I contact if my neighbor has trash piling up, junk cars or high grass in their yard?
Contact the Code Department at 302-629-9173. We will investigate your concern, determine if a Code violation exists and take appropriate action when necessary.Go to Top
Am I responsible for maintaining the curbing, sidewalk, trees and vegetation abutting my property?
Yes, the property owner is responsible. This includes alleys or streets that run behind your property.Go to Top
How do I protect my home from flood damage?

Seaford's Flood Hazard: Seaford is in a fairly good situation in regards to the elevations relative to flooding. On the banks of the Nanticoke River, we range from Eight (8) to Thirty (30) feet above sea level. These elevation place very few properties in the flood zone.

Flood Warning System: Unique local factors make it especially important that residents and businesses be aware of local flood warnings. During extreme conditions, the bridge at Blades Causeway could cause some inconvenience to persons living south of the Nanticoke River. When flooding threatens, tune to radio station WSUX 98.3 FM and WJDY 1280 AM and to TV stations WBOC 16 and WMDT 47. Also, the NOAA weather radios are a good source of flood hazard information. Most importantly, listen for and act on official warnings issued by the City.

Flood Safety: There are several steps you can take in order to increase your personal safety and protect your property if Seaford is hit by a severe flood. Shut off your electricity and gas prior to evacuation. This greatly reduces the chance of fire. The Delaware Dept. of Transportation warns that driving in water which is six inches or deeper is hazardous. When water obscures the road surface, flood induced cracks, holes and undermining are deadly.

Flood Insurance: The City of Seaford participates in the National Flood Insurance Program. In exchange for the flood hazard reduction codes enforced by the City, affordable flood insurance is available to all residents within our community.

Homeowner's insurance does NOT cover flood damage. Flood insurance may be purchased from a number of local agents and structure and/or content coverage may be tailored to your needs. If you are in a flood zone and do not have flood insurance, FEMA will not pay for any damages in the event of a catastrophe.

Property Protection: Store loose ground level objects on elevated decks or porches. Consider replacing damaged steps, boardwalks or sheds with types that can be adequately anchored or elevated for safety. Your automobile is at great risk if you leave it in town during a flood. Examine your home or business frequently for signs of stresses which may indicate an increased vulnerability. Are foundations rotting or cracking? Are pile-to-joist connections pulling apart? Does your home have hurricane clips that are in good shape? By finding signs of weakness before the storm hits, you may be able to avoid major problems. If you are experiencing flood damage to your property, the City building official can suggest ways to prevent it.

Permit Procedure: Please remember that all development in Seaford requires a building permit which is available at the City Office. By doing this, you ensure that the proposed work will conform to the local building code and be properly designed to resist flood damage. For additional information on Seaford's flood hazard, see more information filed at the Seaford District Library or stop by City Hall.

Flood Hazard Zones: The City of Seaford provides many services which can help you design a flood resistant structure or reduce the threat to an existing one. The key is to know the base flood elevation on your site. Seaford's building official has an up to date floodplain map. As the Floodplain Coordinator for the community, the Building Official can locate your property on the Flood Insurance Rate Map and provide a Flood Zone Determiniation. The Building Official can also advise you on how to minimize flood risk. The City also has copies of Elevation Certificates for some properties in the floodplain.

Drainage Maintenance: A town as low and as flat as Seaford is going to have drainage problems by its very nature. Please be aware that additional construction will lead to excessive ponding of water. The streets can become dangerous when standing water causes loss of traction to drivers. You can assist in resolving this potential problem by locating catch basins on or around your property. Check them periodically. Assist in keeping debris off of them and report any problems that you observe.

Making Improvements to Your Property: One of the primary objectives of floodplain building codes is to reduce flood damage. For this reason, older flood prone buildings must be brought up to current flood protection standards if and when a substantial improvement is undertaken.

Please contact Josh Littleton, the City Building Official at 629-9173 with any questions. For more information regarding floods, visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency website or the Floodsmart website Go to Top
Who do I contact to report a power outage?
Contact the Seaford Electric Department at 302-629-9841. Calls to this number are automatically transferred to the Police Department after hours. You may also call 302-629-4550 after hours. Go to Top
Who do I contact to report a street light out?
Contact the Electric Dept. at 302-629-9841 or you can report it on our Request Tracker.Go to Top
What should I do if I see downed power lines?
DO NOT GO NEAR THE POWER LINES! Power lines are energized with high voltages, sometimes greater than 7,000 volts and should always be considered energized and dangerous, even if they are not sparking. If you are in your house or car, remain inside. If you are in your car do not drive across or near the lines. Call the Electric Dept. at 302-629-9841. If no answer, call 302-629-4550.Go to Top
Is there a program that can help me if I cannot afford to pay my energy bill?
There are programs operated by churches and other non-profit organizations that can provide assistance. The state of Delaware manages an assistance program with the Catholic Charities called the Delaware Energy Assistance Program (DEAP). For more information contact the Catholic Charities at 302-856-6310 or visit their web site: CLICK HERE. Go to Top
Who do I contact if I have a question about my energy bill?
Any questions regarding your energy bill can be referred to the Billing Representative at 302-629-9173 (City Hall).Go to Top
What can I do to conserve energy and lower my energy bills?
As a home owner there are many ways to conserve energy and manage your energy costs. The City of Seaford along with its sister utilities in the Delaware Municipal Electric Corp. (DEMEC) has implemented a new online service called Energy Depot (Click Here to Visit Energy Depot ). At Energy Depot you will find tools such as energy calculators and other resources to help you better understand and manage your energy costs.

Some of the many things you can do to conserve energy and lower your energy bills include:

  • Lower your thermostat setting in the winter and raise it in the summer.
  • Install a programmable thermostat
  • Lower the water heater temperature to 120 - 125 deg F.
  • Install an insulation blanket on the water heater.
  • Install insulation on pipes carrying water away from the water heater
  • Install or add insulation in the attic, ceiling, walls and floors
  • Use compact fluorescent light bulbs instead of incandescent bulbs
  • Use Energy Star rated appliances and computers
  • Change the furnace filter regularly (monthly at minimum)
  • Use window shades or curtains to keep sunlight (and heat) out in the summer
  • Open curtains or shades in the winter to allow the sun to help heat the inside
  • Weatherstrip doors and windows
  • Seal all HVAC duct work joints

Additional links for energy conservation ideas are listed below:

Energy Savers Guide Click Here

U.S. Dept. of Energy - Energy Tips Click Here

Delaware Energy Office Click Here

Go to Top
Does the City have any rebate or incentive programs for energy efficiency improvements?
The City of Seaford currently does not have an energy efficiency rebate program. However, in partnership with our joint action agency, DEMEC, Inc., we have put together a list of state and federal energy efficiency incentive programs that we encourage you to investigate. Click here for the list of energy efficiency incentive programs.Go to Top
Public Works
What should I do if I experience a sewer stoppage?
Before calling a plumber, call the City of Seaford's Public Works Department at (302) 629-8307 or the City Hall at (302) 629-9173, Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. After normal business hours you may contact the Seaford Police Department at (302) 629-6644. " An emergency crew will be dispatched to determine if the blockage is in the sewer main in the street or the sewer lateral coming from the house to the main pipe. If there is a cleanout in the right-of-way we will check it to see if it is backed up to the main. If it is, you will need to call a plumber to clear the line so that we can visually inspect it to determine if it needs to be repaired or replaced at no cost to the property owner. If there is no property line cleanout, or if the cleanout cannot be located, you will need to contact a plumber to assist you (also see below).Go to Top
What is a "sewer stoppage"?
A sewer stoppage can cause a sewage backup through the drains in your home or business resulting in an unpleasant event. There are steps you can take to protect your property. Wastewater flows through small pipes in your building and on your property to the larger public sewer mains in the public right-of-ways and easement, normally in the street. From there, the wastewater travels by gravity or pressure to the City Wastewater Treatment Plant were it is treated, reclaimed and returned to the environment. A sewer stoppage in the private and/or the public wastewater pipes causes a backup through floor drains, fixtures or toilets at the lower point in your building. The overflow continues until the stoppage is cleared, removed or until the wastewater flow stops.Go to Top
What causes a Sewer Backup?
Anything, which should not be in a sewer line, has the potential of causing a blockage. For example:
  • Kitchen grease, disposable diapers and sanitary napkins.
  • Tree roots seeking moisture can grow through tiny cracks in the pipes causing a stoppage.
  • Vandals have stopped up pipes by putting stones, bricks, wood, oil filters, sticks, rope and other objects in open sewer cleanouts or even in sewer manholes.
  • Illegal hookups allow excess water into the sewer pipes. Outside stairwell drains, sump pumps, roof leaders and rain gutters should never be connected to the sewer system. A sewer system is designed to carry a predetermined amount of sewage. Rain water not only overloads the system, but also raises the cost of the treatment process.
Go to Top
What can I do to prevent sewer backups?
Do not put anything in the sewer system that does not belong there. Locate and keep accessible the sewer property line cleanout. If you do not have a property line cleanout, have on installed by a plumber. The property line cleanout plus any additional cleanouts located on your property are the property owner's responsibility.

Buildings with floor drains and/or plumbing fixtures subject to backflow of sewage from the public sewer must have a "Backwater Valve" installed. For additional information regarding backwater valves, please contact the City of Seaford Building Official at (302) 629-9173. Go to Top
How do I know if I have a property cleanout?
The property line cleanout is located inside the public right-of-way or easement near the curb line. It is to be kept above grade and uncovered. This property line clean out is used by the City to determine if the stoppage is on the public portion of the wastewater collection system, or on the property owner's portions.

Quite frequently, the property line cleanout becomes buried or hidden over the years and is forgotten. In some cases, older homes may not have had a property line cleanout installed by the plumber.

As a property owner, you are responsible for the property line cleanout. If this cleanout cannot be located, a registered plumber should be able to locate and raise it to grade for you.

If it is hidden by landscaping or other objects, you will need to make it easy for the City crew to access Go to Top
When does the street sweeper come through my neigborhood?
The street sweeper follows this daily schedule even if days are missed:


Weekday Neighborhood
Monday Mearfield, Federal Street, Fallon Avenue, Jet Avenue, Norman Eskridge & Stein Highways, Middleford Road and Governor's Grant
Tuesday Westview to Shipley Street including Martin Farms
Wednesday Shipley St. to Railroad tracks, Woodside Manor, Parsons Village and Crossgate Village
Thursday Railroad tracks to Front Street, Market Street Extended and Hurley Heights
Friday East Seaford, School Lane, Wil-Mar Village, Virginia Avenue and Virginia Commons
Saturday Street Sweeper Does Not Run
Sunday High Street
Go to Top
Smart Meters
What is an advanced meter?
An advanced meter is a digital device that not only reads usage data for electricity and water, but transmits that data to us over a secure wireless network. Unlike the current analog meters, advanced meters do not need to be read by a meter reader and provides two-way communication for improved inefficiencies and outage management. Go to Top
Is that the same as a smart meter?
Yes, these meters are sometimes referred to as "smart meters." The word "smart" is often being used in the utility industry because the technology being installed is helping make the power grid and distribution system smarter.Go to Top
Why do the meters need to be changed?
Unfortunately, our current meter infrastructure is aging and needs to be replaced. Instead of replacing the meters with a similar product, we looked at making an investment in state-of-the art infrastructure that will provide long-term reliability and greater benefits to our residents and businesses. Doing so with advanced meters will enable us to provide a higher level of service and quicker response times. Go to Top
How will I be notified of the installation process?
We will communicate in advance of the installation process, including letters to customers' homes, our Website, our Facebook page and hang tags. We also will contact customers a few days in advance, by leaving hang tags, to remind them that we will be in the neighborhood replacing meters.Go to Top
What can I expect when a meter is installed?
A typical electric meter will take approximately 5 minutes to replace. In order to do the work safely, your electric and/or water service(s) will be turned off briefly while the work is being done. As long as they can access your meter(s), you do not have to be present for this work. If you are not at home at the time of the replacement, a door hanger will be left to let you know the work was complete. If they are not able to access the meter, a door hanger will be left providing you information to reschedule.Go to Top
Will my account and usage information remain confidential?
Our system adheres to the best practices and standards for cyber security and privacy. Our meters and associated communications system also are encrypted and equipped with security measures to prevent unauthorized access and detect attempts at theft.

Moreover, companies, from utilities to developers, are working with federal agencies, such as the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Energy, and the National Institute of Standards and Technology, to strengthen privacy and security standards to provide even more safeguards for consumer protection. Go to Top

I heard that advanced meters are not as reliable as analog meters?
This has been a common myth as these meters are installed. Advanced meters are rigorously tested for accuracy even before they leave the manufacturing plant. They are subject to strict manufacturing design standards set by the American National Standards Institute. It has been found that advanced meters are often more accurate than analog meters.Go to Top
Are advanced meters safe?
Yes, advanced meters are safe. They must meet safety requirements and standards as defined by the National Electric Safety Code. These meters are installed only by trained professionals, who exercise standard safety precautions.Go to Top
Do advanced meters pose a health threat because of the wireless communication?
No, in fact, no credible evidence shows any threat to human health from radio frequency emissions at or below radio frequency exposure limits developed by the Federal Communication Commission (FCC). With over 25,000 articles published on the topic over the last 30 years, scientific knowledge in this area is now more extensive than for most chemicals.Go to Top
Will the meter or communication system interfere with my home or business equipment?
Advanced meters should not adversely affect the stability or performance of home wireless networks. The FCC regulates all electronics to prevent one type of electronic equipment from interfering with other electronic and wireless devices that operate in the same frequency band.Go to Top
Will implementing this program raise my bill?
Implementing the AMI program is not expected to raise our customers' rates. It will, however, help our customers become more engaged in their electricity/water usage and help them better manage their usage, which could save money in the long run.Go to Top
How did City of Seaford determine the need for this program?
After careful review of our current infrastructure, including operations and maintenance expenses, it was determined that implementing the AMI program would help reduce costs and allow us to utilize advanced technology to improve our business operations. We presented this information to Council who carefully reviewed the proposal and approved the project. Because we are a member of American Municipal Power, we also were able to purchase the meters and communication components under an aggregated purchasing agreement with its vendors/partners. This not only reduced our costs, but reduced the risk associated with implementing this type of program.Go to Top
What if I don't want a meter installed?
The installation of advanced meters is part of our infrastructure improvement efforts and considered a standard device. We recognize there may be some concerns and would encourage you to talk to us directly so that we can answer questions and address concerns.

For those who do not want a meter installed, we do have an opt-out option. This option would still provide you with a new meter installation, however the RF transmitter would be turned off. There will be a monthly charge added to you bill to cover the costs to manually read your meter and process your usage data.

Automatic Meter Reading Device and Opt-Out Provision.

  1. For each electric service, the City of Seaford shall own and maintain one meter or a unified set of meters and metering equipment that have provisions for automated meter reading.

  2. An electrical service customer may make an application for a waiver from automated reading and have the meter read manually. Upon approval by the City Manager, the City Electric Department shall furnish, own and maintain an electric meter capable of being read manually.

  3. Customers choosing to have their meter read manually shall pay a one-time manual meter setup fee and a recurring monthly manual meter reading fee. Such fees to be established by the City Council and published in the Schedule of Fees and Rates.

  4. It is the responsibility of the customer to provide, at the customer's expense, suitable space for the installation and use of the City's metering and transforming equipment. The customer shall permit no person other than a properly identified City employee or agent to remove, inspect or alter such equipment. In the event that any City equipment is damaged, destroyed, altered or otherwise prevented from properly registering the energy supplied to the customer due to the act, failure to act or negligence of the customer or by any unauthorized person, the costs of all necessary repairs, replacement of equipment, together with the reasonable costs of investigation to determine the amount of energy not registered, and an estimate of the energy not registered shall be paid by the customer. Go to Top

What is Distribution Automation?
Distribution automation, using a host of various technologies, including sensors, processors, switches and communication networks, improves reliability by reducing the number of customers affected by an outage and the amount of time a customer is without power. Go to Top
How long will my power be out?
In most cases it will be out approximately 60 seconds, but some could take up to 10 minutes. Go to Top
What are the hours of installation?
Monday thru Friday between the hours of 8 am and 5 pmGo to Top
What if I have a medical condition?
Please contact our Director of Power at 302-629-9841.Go to Top
What if I have critical equipment?
If you have critical equipment that requires constant power, please double check to ensure your backup power supply is working. Go to Top
What if I have a security system?
There is a chance that the alarm may be triggered, similar to when there is a power outage. If you have any concerns, please contact your security provider. Go to Top
What if I work from home?
The interruption should only be approximately 60 seconds, but if you have any concerns please contact us at 302-629-9841. Go to Top
What if I have a business?
The interruption should only be approximately 60 seconds, but if you have any concerns please contact us at 302-629-9841.Go to Top
Are there any fees to the customer?
No, unless you have been contacted directly with regard to your current meter. Go to Top
Do you need access inside of my house?
Only if the meter is located inside of your structure.Go to Top
Will the installers be wearing identification?
Yes, the installers will have identification from the City of Seaford. Go to Top
Will the new meter be larger or smaller than my old meter?
The old meter and new meter are the same size. Go to Top
Why do I need a new meter?
The new meter will get your lights back on more quickly and more safely during power out-ages. It will help the City operate more efficiently, reduce electric waste and provide customers with more detailed information on their electricity use. It will provide more real-time reports for those without power during a power outage to assist us in restoring power to all customers by giving us the exact location of the outage.Go to Top